By Chef Lara
No this is not a pumpkin recipe – though I do love pumpkin! Another great in season ingredient is lentils! High in fiber but comforting they are a tasty and healthy ingredient. This recipe is also very high in iron both heme, which is very easy for your body to absorb and is found in fish and meat, as well as non-heme, which is found in plant based foods. Non-heme iron is not as efficiently absorbed but foods high in vitamin C – like tomatoes, citrus fruits and red, yellow and orange peppers – can also help with the absorption of non-heme iron. Women, like me, often struggle with iron levels so add this is a perfect recipe to add to your repitoire.
Makes: about 4 servings
- Ingredients for the Lentils:
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 small celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups French lentils du Puy
- 1 bay leaf
- A handful of parsley stems (optional)
- 3 cups water
- Ingredients for the Shrimp:
- 12 jumbo shrimp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Ingredients for the Salad:
- 2 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- Sauté the shallots, garlic, carrot, and celery in the olive oil in a sauce pot over medium heat until just fragrant and translucent—3 to 4 minutes, because they are chopped so finely.
- Add the lentils, bay leaf, parsley stems, and water. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil, then cover, and simmer on low heat for 25 minutes. Then remove the lid, and boil for 5 minutes. Drain the lentils.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toss the shrimp with salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and the lemon zest. Spread onto a baking sheet, and roast for 10 minutes.
- While the shrimp roast, make the dressing by whisking together the walnut oil, white wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard with salt and pepper.
- Toss the warm lentils gently with the vinaigrette and the tomatoes. Perch the shrimp on top.
About My Chef Lara
My Chef Lara is comprised of three chefs who believe that wellness starts with the food we eat. Cooking and eating for your health is within everyone’s reach and we are here to educate people that they can achieve their wellness goals and still enjoy what they eat.
My Chef Lara cooks custom meals to your specifications, packages them and put them into your refrigerator and freezer for you to eat at your convenience. We offer this service as delivery or in-home service. Our model of cooking many meals at once makes our services affordable and our customization allows you to reach whatever goals or needs you desire.
Contact us to help you with reaching your goals and to see what other services we can offer you.
Phone: 401.831.1657 Email:[email protected] Website: http://www.mycheflara.com